Thursday, February 10, 2011

Zam texts - an introduction

Please forgive my lag in blogging - it's been a rough few weeks but I'm on the upswing. I messed up my neck about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Doing what? I'm not really sure - probably Zumba and running and poor posture and genetics and computer use and all those fun things. I'm seeing a new physiotherapist and I'm taking it VERY easy, but I got a little freaked out when I started feeling tinglies in my right arm...NOT fun, especially when you're away from home. It doesn't seem to be a disc though, so we're going to try to work it out and in the meantime I'm doing a lot of lying on my back during the hours that I'm not at work (and apparently supposed to be staying off my computer, but look how well that's turning out...).

This is the perfect opportunity to talk about Zam-texting though. What precisely is Zam-texting? Well since phones are pay-as-you-go here, and calling people is relatively expensive, everyone text messages instead. I have yet to get used to some of the spellings of words though. I mean, I understand writing "u" or "ur" for "you" or "your" - it's easier and shorter too if there's a limit on the number of letters. But other substitutions barely make sense or are just comical. Where is this all coming from? Here's the story: I saw a Zambian physiotherapist a couple of times, and while she was an excellent masseuse, I felt as though she wasn't 'listening to my body,' as they say, she was giving me the run-down: heat, ultrasound, massage - generic bullshit and not tailored to my body or my needs. Granted, I only saw her twice so I didn't give it ample time to improve, but I'm in a shitton of pain and she was like, "Oh yeah, just come once a week." I've endured enough hours of physio to know that she wasn't for me. After seeing this other woman this morning who I like a lot (Zambian, British parents, trained for 5 years in Melbourne) I sent the first woman a text message saying that unfortunately I would have to cancel our appointment next Tuesday. She wrote back, "Why? R U in pain?" Stumped at how to be as polite as possible while not lying, I responded, "Yes, a little bit. And the tingling in my hand is worrisome so I'm just going to take it easy and see if it improves." A bit of a white lie, but also not saying that I was magically healed so she wouldn't continue the ineffectual treatment. Her response? I'll quote it letter for letter here: "U r making a mistake. Go önline and check 4 cervical spondylosis u wil c yo symtoms. Leavin it wil just worsen it." My spoiled, elitist, North American side is going to come out right now (please be forewarned, I normally try to push this part away, but when it comes to my health, screw it), but why should I follow the advice of someone who is a) being condescending to a patient they are trying to encourage to come back? b) barely even checked me out - how does she know that's what I have? and c) gave me exercises only after I asked for them (ummm, isn't that her job?) and told me to do things that crunch one side of my neck? The second physio was like, "You should definitely NOT be turning and crunching to the right." Clearly I'm a little frustrated, but if nothing else I have a Zam-text story to share with you. Now all I've got to do is get on fixing this neck...

No comments:

Post a Comment