Saturday, April 9, 2011

"I'm Fine"

You know those encounters when you're rushing by someone and there's a miscommunication or mis-calculation of what was said and the proper response? “What's up?” and the response is “I'm good,” or “How are you?” “Not much.” Those happen ALL the time out here. And no one even realizes it's out of place. Often I'll say “Hi” and people say back, “I'm fine,” and sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated or annoyed I think to myself, ummm I didn't ask how you were! Well, I was talking to the cook at the space where we're conducting our ToC this week, and out of the blue he was like, “I'm fine.” Okay, cool. I'm happy for you, I guess. Only with a little more talking and probing did I realize that his name is Fine. Imagine the perpetual confusion! “What's your name?” “I'm Fine.” “I know you're fine, but what's your name?” “I'm Fine.” I guess he has to say, “My name is Fine.” It must get tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment